Having clean air ducts in your home or office is extremely important for several reasons. Dirty air ducts can negatively impact your health, reduce your indoor air quality, and even lead to higher energy bills. In this comprehensive article, we will examine why duct cleaning and restoration services are so crucial and reasons why you should consider having your air ducts professionally cleaned.
Air ducts allow heated or cooled air to circulate throughout your home or office building. Over time, contaminants like dust, dirt, pollen, and pet dander can build up inside the ductwork. Many people don’t realize the importance of having your air ducts periodically cleaned. Neglecting duct cleaning allows pollutants to spread through your indoor space and can lead to some unwanted consequences. Read on to learn more about what can happen if you don’t clean your air ducts regularly.
The Importance of Air Duct Cleaning
Air ducts allow heated or cooled air to flow throughout a building. Over time, dust, dirt, mold, pollen, pet dander, and other contaminants can accumulate in these ducts. When the HVAC system runs, these particles then circulate through your indoor space. This leads to a huge reduction in your indoor air quality and allows you to breathe in these unwanted allergens and pollutants.
Professional duct cleaning removes this built-up debris from your ductwork. It improves your indoor air quality, removes particles you’d rather not be breathing, and allows your HVAC system to run more efficiently. Keep reading to learn even more about the benefits of air duct cleaning services.
What Happens if You Don't Clean Your Air Ducts?
Air ducts allow heated or cooled air to circulate throughout your home or office building. Over time, contaminants like dust, dirt, pollen, and pet dander can build up inside the ductwork. Many people don’t realize how important it is to have your air ducts periodically cleaned. Neglecting duct cleaning allows pollutants to spread through your indoor space and can lead to some unwanted consequences. Read on to learn more about what can happen if you don’t clean your air ducts regularly.
Benefits of Professional Duct Cleaning
Here are some of the top benefits of having your air ducts professionally cleaned:
Improves Indoor Air Quality
As mentioned, dirty ducts release contaminants into your indoor air each time your HVAC runs. Professional duct cleaning removes all this built-up dust, dirt, pet dander, and other allergens. This directly improves the quality of air inside your home or office. After a thorough duct cleaning, you’ll immediately notice the difference in your indoor air. It will seem fresher, and you won’t have to worry about breathing unwanted particles.
Removes Mold and Bacteria
If moisture builds up in your ductwork, it can lead to mold growth. Air ducts can also harbor harmful bacteria over time. Professional cleanings remove any mold or bacteria living in your ducts. This eliminates another source of potential allergens or illness-causing contaminants.
Prevents Clogged Vents
Built-up debris and dust bunnies can begin clogging your air vents over time. This restricts airflow and forces your HVAC system to work harder to push air through the restricted vents. Professional duct cleaning removes blockages and allows air to flow freely from the vents.
Extends HVAC System Lifespan
All the dirt buildup and clogged vents put extra strain on your HVAC system. This causes it to use more energy to generate hot or cold air. The increased workload can shorten the lifespan of HVAC components like blowers and compressors. Keeping your ducts debris-free through regular professional cleaning allows your HVAC system to run more efficiently and can extend its lifespan.
Reduces Dust and Allergens
For those with allergies or respiratory issues, dirty ducts can exacerbate problems. All the dust and allergens released into the air can make symptoms worse. After a thorough duct cleaning, the reduction in airborne particles may help lessen allergy symptoms.
Decreases Odds of Duct Fires
In rare cases, built-up debris in ductwork can catch fire, especially around the furnace. Regularly cleaning your ducts removes flammable deposits and decreases the chances of a duct fire starting.
Dirty ducts can start harboring unpleasant odors that get released into your air. A thorough cleaning removes any stuck-on debris that may be causing unwanted duct odors.
Allows Better Airflow
Clean ducts allow air to flow freely throughout the building. Dirty ducts restrict airflow, making your HVAC work extra hard. Professional cleaning restores ducts to maximize air movement.
When to Schedule Air Duct Cleaning Services
Now that you know the many benefits, here are some good times to call for a comprehensive duct cleaning:
- You Move Into a New Home: Previous owners may have neglected duct cleaning, so it's good to get them cleaned when you first move in.
- After Home Renovations: Ductwork can get dirty during renovations, so it's wise to schedule a cleaning after major remodeling.
- You Notice Decreased Airflow: If your vents seem to put out less air, having your ducts professionally cleaned can help boost airflow.
- Seasonal Allergy Symptoms Worsen: A thorough duct cleaning may help reduce allergy symptom severity.
- You See Dirt Debris Around Vents: This signals your ducts need to be cleaned. Professionals have the tools to access and clean your entire duct system.
- Your AC or Heater Isn't Working As Well: Dirty ducts make HVAC systems less efficient, so if you notice a decline in performance, you likely need a duct cleaning.
- It's Been 3-5 Years: HVAC professionals recommend getting your ducts cleaned every 3-5 years under normal circumstances.
What to Expect During Professional Air Duct Cleaning
A professional air duct cleaning service will:
- Do a complete inspection of your entire duct system using specialized tools and equipment. They will note problem areas or ducts needing extra attention.
- Seal off and contain the work area to prevent spreading dirt and debris. Plastic sheeting and air scrubbers will be used.
- Use powerful vacuum equipment to remove stuck-on dust, dirt, and other contamination. Both main supply and return ducts will be cleaned.
- Clean any vents that are clogged or have noticeable buildup.
- Sanitize your ducts using an EPA-approved, non-toxic disinfectant. This kills bacteria, mold, and other allergens.
- Carefully clean around the heating or cooling system equipment to avoid damage.
- Check airflow and make sure the ductwork is restored to maximum efficiency.
The entire process is designed to thoroughly clean your entire duct system without spreading contaminants around your building. Reputable companies also wear protective gear, work quickly and efficiently, and keep the premises as clean as possible during the service.
Having your air ducts professionally cleaned is strongly recommended to reap the many benefits outlined in this article. It improves your indoor air quality, reduces allergens, removes mold and bacteria growth, extends your HVAC system's lifespan, and enhances overall comfort and health. Be sure to use a reputable company that employs trained technicians to safely restore your ductwork. With regular professional cleanings every few years, your facility can breathe easier with cleaner indoor air.
Dirty, neglected air ducts come with an array of potential problems that can impact your health, home, and wallet. Having your ducts periodically cleaned by professionals avoids decreased air quality, illness, higher energy bills, and other issues outlined above. Be proactive by scheduling duct cleanings every few years to keep your home or office's air clean and breathable. Your lungs and HVAC system will thank you.
Friendly A/C offers premium air duct cleaning services that clear the air breath. We will flush and clear out your air duct to provide you with clean, fresh air using the technology. Our knowledgeable and trained team of technicians will come and help you keep your home healthier, safer, and cleaner, ensuring you continue to breathe fresh air.
Book a free consultation with Friendly A/C to find out how we can help to improve your indoor air quality. Contact us for a consultation today!